Weekend holiday gatherings can be as healthy as they are festive. Make an easy, crowd pleasing dish that serves up a punch of flavor. Here’s a Paella to celebrate - no one will know that it is both low in fat and calories.
- 8 oz. raw boneless skinless lean chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 tsp. each salt and black pepper, divided
- 2 cups sliced onions
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 tbsp. chopped garlic
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/4 tsp. ground thyme
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 3/4 cup fat-free chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups frozen green peas
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 oz. raw shrimp, peeled, tails removed, deveined
- 6 oz. raw scallops, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 6 oz. raw tilapia (or other flaky white fish), cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- Optional: lemon wedges, additional salt and black pepper
Spray a large pot (with a lid) with nonstick spray and bring to medium-high heat on the stove. Add chicken and season with 1/8 tsp. each salt and black pepper. Stirring occasionally, cook for 5 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. Transfer chicken to a bowl and set aside.
Remove pot from heat, re-spray, and return to medium-high heat. Add onions, bell peppers, and garlic. Stirring occasionally, cook until softened, about 6 minutes.
Add mushrooms, tomatoes, turmeric, paprika, thyme, and 1/4 tsp. each salt and black pepper to the pot. Cook until mushrooms have softened, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add rice and mix well. Add broth, peas, and bay leaves. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook for 35 - 40 minutes, until rice is fully cooked.
Add all of the seafood, the cooked chicken, and the parsley. Stirring often, cook for 5 minutes, or until seafood is fully cooked.
Add lemon juice and stir. Remove from heat and re-cover. Let stand for 10 minutes.
Remove bay leaves. Add remaining 1/8 tsp. each of salt and black pepper. If you like, garnish with lemon wedges and season to taste with additional salt and black pepper.
Paella "Recipe Makeover" by Hungry Girl