Thanksgiving is a meal that can keep on giving - and thankfully, in a healthy way. If you found yourself over-indulging a bit too much, now is the chance to eat mindfully - by transforming your turkey leftovers into a delicious Black Friday Turkey Tortilla soup.
Simply pop all the ingredients into your slow cooker for an all-day simmer – and head out for an afternoon of outdoor hiking or simply walking the shopping mall. After your active day, find a relaxing spot by the fire and enjoy a guilt-free, low-calorie dinner.
- 4 Cups left-over turkey, mostly white. Add a bit of dark meat for flavor
- 1 cup onion, finely diced
- 1 (15-ounce) can reduced-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can of diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 (10-ounce) cans Ro*Tel® mild diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 Jalapeno, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tsp taco seasoning
- 1 (32-ounce) container low-sodium chicken broth
- ¾ cup Fresh Gourmet lightly salted tortilla strips
- Garnish with fat-free plain Greek Yogurt, Cheddar Cheese and Sliced Avocado
- Place the chicken in a slow cooker. Add the onion, black beans, corn, diced tomatoes, jalapeno, garlic, taco seasoning, and chicken broth, and stir to combine. Cover and cook on high heat for 4 hours or on low heat for 8 hours.
- Remove the turkey and shred. Return the shredded turkey to the slow cooker and mix well.
- To serve, ladle the soup into bowls.
- Garnish each serving with 2 tablespoons of tortilla strips, 1 tablespoon of cheddar cheese, 1 tablespoon of fat free Greek yogurt and sliced avocado.