- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling out dough
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 sticks chilled unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 6 tablespoons block-style, reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1/4 cup very cold water
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Cooking spray
- 3 pounds peeled apples (a mix of Gala and Granny Smith), cored and cut into 1/2-inch-thick wedges
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- Place flours, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a food processor; pulse 15-20 times. Add butter and cream cheese; pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add water and lemon juice; pulse just until dough forms.
- Transfer dough to a floured surface; form into a disk. Separate disk into 2 halves; wrap both tightly in plastic wrap. Chill at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Coat a 9-inch glass pie plate with cooking spray. Turn 1 dough half out onto a lightly floured surface. Roll into a 13-inch round; transfer to parchment paper. Cover and refrigerate. Fit remaining circle of dough into pie plate; trim edge, leaving a 1/2-inch overhang. Using a fork, lightly pierce dough all over; chill until firm (about 20 minutes), or freeze 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine apples and next 7 ingredients (through nutmeg). Spoon filling into dough in pie plate; top with chilled dough. Fold overhang under edge of bottom dough; crimp overlap decoratively. Brush egg over dough; bake in middle of oven 40-50 minutes or until crust is golden and apples are tender. Let cool. Cut into 8 slices and serve (best when warm - right out of the oven).
Yields 8 servings (serving size: 1 slice). Prep time: 20 minutes. Cook time: 40 minutes.
Recipe adapted from health.com.